Wednesday, April 16, 2014

SKINCARE: Hyaluronic Acid - Peter Roth vs. Timeless

Do you have dry skin or are you currently recovering from an eczema breakout?  I was born with lizard skin and am extremely prone to eczema.  So bad that my doctor told me to not shower everyday because my skin would bleed when I was little.  Praise the Lord I can shower everyday now.  I've always pulled out the big guns to keep my skin moisturized.  One of the active ingredients I look for is hyaluronic acid.  Hyaluronic acid is something we have in our dermis, and they fill in the spaces between cells to form a cushion that retains moisture in our skin.  Here is the difference







Moist skin with high levels of hyaluronic acid                       Dry skin with low levels of hyaluronic acid

If you look at the ingredients in your facial moisturizer, most of them will have hyaluronic acid or glycerin or both.  And if it's a good one, it'll be listed as the 2nd or 3rd ingredient.  With that said, let's move on to our beauty battle of the day!

timeless hyaluronic acidpeter thomas roth VIZ 1000
Left: Timeless Hyaluronic Acid 2fl oz ($13.95)
Right: Peter Thomas Roth VIZ - 1000 1fl oz ($65.00)

Percentage of hyaluronic acid: 
Timeless: 100%
Peter Thomas Roth: 75%

Moisture power:
Both had a significant affect on my skin

So why would one buy Peter Thomas Roth's VIZ 1000?  What does VIZ1000 have over Timeless Hyaluronic Acid?  Let's take a look at Peter Thomas Roth's ingredients.

Peter Thomas Roth's VIZ1000 ingredients:
-Hyaluronic Acid: Helps improve hydration by retaining and attracting up to 1,000 times its own weight in water from moisture in the air. 
-Sodium PCA: Helps bind moisture to the skin, preventing dehydration. 
-Silk Proteins: Derivative of pure silk made into a water-soluble form that acts as a powerful skin softener. -Sea Algae: Helps to promote moisture in the skin; soothes. 

Timeless Hyaluronic Acid ingredients:
- Water
- Sodium Hyaluronate - salt form of the liquid hyaluronic acid, retains moisture
- Benzylalcohol - preservative (in plants, fruits, and tea) *They claim on their website that their product is natural.  So this benzylalcohol MAY be separate from the synthetic version (combo of benzyl chloride with sodium hydroxide)  Not sure because I never believe what is advertised completely.
- Dehydroacetic acid - acts as preservative

I've used both and they both made a difference.  The amount of preservative does bother me a little bit because overtime, the benzyl alcohol can stimulate my immune system and cause my skin to act out.  If you don't have sensitive skin, the cheaper alternative maybe okay.  But, if you have sensitive skin or eczema prone skin, it may be worth it to spend the extra dollars on the Peter Thomas Roth VIZ1000.  If you prefer a cheaper alternative that has other ingredients on top of hyaluronic acid, you can check out Matrixyl 3000 by Timeless.   However, make a note to self that this also has preservatives like dehydroacetic acid and benzyl alcohol.

timeless matrixyl 3000

Which one would you pick?  Does preservatives bother you?  




2 comments:

  1. great review!:) I have rather oily skin, so I have to avoid all heavy moisturizers. But I guess my skin will change as I get older.

    www.Lorietta.cz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review!

    Casual look with mannish pants and sneakers on lowbudget-lowcost Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete